My Ministry review in Pandamaran Chinese Methodist Church

I remember when I was attending the Chinese Annual Conference in Kuantan November 2010. It was my first conference with CAC, thus it was an eye opening experience on the way the conference was run. There were some issues about finances! Well, it is most of the time we Chinese always talk about money issues. Well.. I just attend the conference as a practical student, although at times, I would love that STM could brief students like me who are going out for a year practicals.

During a break period at the conference, I was approached by a young Reverend. He told me that the board of ministry posted me to his church! Wow! I thought in my heart. You really get the news fast! And he told me that I was to help in the English Worship in Pandamaran CMC. So it was that time I have to prepare myself to serve for a year as a student pastor in PCMC. As I get prepared I need to do some research on the church that I was going to be serving. So, I searched the website and call a few friends to ask about the condition of the church. To my surprise, this church is different. Different because the English worship doesn't follow the Methodist Conduct.

I was excited as well as afraid of what is to come as I serve in PCMC. Rev. David Boey will always remind me not to speak so much and just do whatever I needed to do. The first week, itself I was asked to be the chairman and help in the Holy Communion which was not so bad. The following week, I am to preach! Wow... And I've prepared my 30min sermon, which STM have taught me to do... "30 mins is more than enough.. 45mins is the maximum length of your sermon" said my lecturer in STM. But it was not the case here in PCMC, when I was about to end my 30mins sermon, from the pulpit I saw one of the leader looking at the watch and I could sense that he say "That was fast, we usually take more than an hour for a sermon."

It was when I first join the pastoral board meeting for the English worship that really give me an enormous shock! It is like 2 different church in a church. The Chinese worship (CW) have the LCEC which is practiced my Methodist Churches. And the teachings in the English Worship (EW) are very similar to the way DUMC taught and they are more towards the Charismatic side. Where speaking in tongues are practiced openly. Sometimes I think they overemphasized the Holy Spirit more than the person in the Trinity that we should emphasize more! I know we need to be spirit filled but without Jesus' sacrifice it would be meaningless! Up to this point I should say that I am quite a traditional Methodist, although I am from an English Church in the CAC circle.

My ministry here in PCMC-EW was mostly serving in the Youth Fellowship and Worship. My year serving here in PCMC-EW have got me attached to the youth. Being with them scolding them and teaching them. Funny thing is that the more I scold the more they are attached to me. Now my ministry here is coming to an end. I will be finishing after Christmas, I just wanna thank God because His grace is sufficient for me. I thank the church for giving me this opportunity to learn and serve with them. All glory give to the Lord.

No comments: